It seems a little silly to be recording my New Year’s Resolutions now, in February… But so far 2010 has kinda caught me by surprise and for a number of reasons, I have gotten off to a very slow start. So here I am, bearing in mind that it is also the start of a decade, resolving afresh to do all the usual things (be better with money, eat well, exercise more blah blah blah) and also hoping to take a longer view of my aspirations.
I’ve also been reflecting on my thoughts at the start of last year, when I was heavily pregnant and everything seemed to be on ‘pause’ while we waited to see who would arrive and how he/she would impact on our lives.
This year we are in limbo again as we look ahead to the end of our time in the US and try and imagine where we will end up next. Once again this is totally determined by Akira’s career choices, which is fair since that is why we made the big move to come here. But I am hoping that this year might bring some clarity for me in terms of potential career-changing new directions.
So what am I resolving to be purposeful about as we enter 2010?
- I may need to change the title of the blog as this is the year for returning to the paid workforce in some manner. Ideally I would like this to be ‘part-time’ so that I can still be primarily focused on caring for Kazuo. But the increased costs of being resident aliens (we are now ‘substantially present’ here!) and childcare may impact on that decision. With this in mind, I have applied for a work permit this week, so it will be a few months yet before I can seek out employment, but we are making progress on childcare options for Kazuo…so Not Working may take a change of direction…
- I did what I could to stay somewhat politically engaged over the past year and hope to at least maintain my regular attendance at Amnesty International meetings. Whether I can sustain any more active involvement really hinges on the outcome of point 1.
- We need to totally trim down our food outgoings…at the same time that Kazuo is ramping up his solid food intake – sheesh! So, more creative ideas need to kick in really soon (have been rather meticulous about this lately… doing OK so far) for healthy food that we all love, that is nutritious and appetising and that keeps down the costs. Being a working mama may erode this resolution… and it seems like a tall order – but imperative nonetheless.
- The weather is really cramping my exercising style – last year it took until September to lose the baby weight, but it DID go…now I need to lose my winter layer! I am keen to get Kazuo and I back on my bike in some fashion in the Spring. Perhaps Akira and I both need to join a gym…
- I still wanna get crafty for cash…I have a few ideas but they do require capital and time, both of which are still a little scarce. But after the Fall craft shows in STL last year, I felt newly energised. So need to make this a priority I think.
- I would like to become a slightly more chilled out individual this year – I know that seems unlikely, but it might be good for all concerned. So I guess I need to look out some me-time things that make me feel connected to others, and to myself…yoga? date nights? getting arty/crafty? more weekend girly time? naps?…ideas anyone?
- Time for doing the things I love…reading, watching films, listening to music, going to theatre…hmmmm I need to make these things somehow fit into family life.
- Kazuo is my number one priority these days…so it is only fair to say I am pretty much resolved to help him grow into a happy little guy. Guess that goes without saying though…
- Become a little more other-centred again. Life became very insular when adjusting to the newness of parenting, but we are getting a little into the swing of that now, and should have a bit of a hiatus before we consider whether we will go down that route again, so I think that in considering paid employment and any ‘spare’ time I may have, I am keen to think about how I might make my time count for those in less abundant circumstances.
- Cultivating wonder was a priority last year, and as I had imagined, Kazuo gave plenty of opportunity for that to happen. Getting outside into the natural world and continuing to foster that wonderment is also important for me right now. I wish to combine that with an increased sense of gratitude this coming year…
So, that is enough I think. The year ahead will be galvanising for me personally, for our family life and for Kazuo’s development. I look forward to seeing how it will all pan out, and hope that having at least some sense of purpose will help when things seem a little murky.